Penny MacCormack (ACUE’s Chief Academic Officer) shares her teaching lessons from the road on episode #154 of the Teaching in Higher Ed Podcast.
Quotes from the episode
Throw away the fixed mindset idea that you’re born smart or not.
Struggle in learning is natural.
Never forget the power of collegiality.
Teaching is a skillset, and it’s a collaboration between teachers and students.
- ACUE website
- University of Arizona for Active Learning in Large Classes module (John Pollard: the Active Learning Cycle)
- Kansas State University for Preparing an Effective Syllabus module (Michael Wesch: Big Idea Syllabus)
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas for Activities and Assignments With Course Outcomes module (Mary-Ann Winkelemes: Transparent Assignments)
- Butler University for Facilitating Engaging Class Discussions module (Tara Lineweaver: Fishbowl Discussion)
- José Bowen for Embracing Diversity in Your Classroom module
- Ece Karayalcin at Miami Dade College
- Kristina Ruiz-Mesa at Cal State LA
- Emily Moss at Cal State LA
- Cat Haras at Cal State LA
- TIHE #118 with Mike Wesch
- Fishbowl (conversation)
- TIHE #136 with Jose Bowen
- Carol Dweck
- Dr. M. David Merrill – First Principles of Instruction
- Christian Freidrich’s Podcasts I Listen to
- Christian’s Tweet About the Teaching in Higher Ed Theme Music
- Travel tip: always try to take a direct flight.
Are You Enjoying the Show?
Rate/review the show. Please consider rating or leaving a review for the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast on whatever service you use to listen to it on (iTunes, Stitcher, etc.). It is the best way to help others discover the show.
Give feedback. As always, I welcome suggestions for future topics or guests.
Subscribe. If you have yet to subscribe to the weekly update, you can receive a single email each week with the show notes (including all the links we talk about on the episode), as well as an article on either teaching or productivity.