Hoda Mostafa discusses teaching creativity on episode 134 of the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast.
Quotes from the episode
Relevance and meaning are so important for the students I teach.
I had to figure out ways to learn things without relying too much on memorization.
You have to guide students through the process of learning how to think.
Students get engaged when it’s meaningful to them.
- TIHE Episode 132: Teach Students How to Learn
- Edward de Bono’s work on Thinking Tools
- Creative Problem Solving
- Tim Brown on creative confidence
- TED Talk: On Being Wrong by Kathryn Schulz
- Syllabus: Scientific Thinking Course
- Syllabus: Creative Cairo: Human Centered Design (co-taught with Maha Bali)
- Slide:ology* by Nancy Duarte
- Teaching for Critical Thinking: Tools and Techniques to Help Students Question Their Assumptions* by Stephen Brookfield
- Thought and Knowledge: An Introduction to Critical Thinking (Volume 2) 5th Edition* by Diane Halpem
Are You Enjoying the Show?
Rate/review the show. Please consider rating or leaving a review for the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast on whatever service you use to listen to it on (iTunes, Stitcher, etc.). It is the best way to help others discover the show.
Give feedback. As always, I welcome suggestions for future topics or guests.
Subscribe. If you have yet to subscribe to the weekly update, you can receive a single email each week with the show notes (including all the links we talk about on the episode), as well as an article on either teaching or productivity.