Stephen Brookfield discusses racial identity in the classroom on episode 147 of the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast.
Quotes from the episode
For the first half of my life I was race blind.
I was colluding in a system and in practices that reinforced racism without consciously being aware of this.
Most white people grow up with these elements in their consciousness but are unaware that they’re there.
We’re here to challenge, rather than to reassure.
We know that we’ll have been successful when … some of our comfortable assumptions are being questioned.
- TIHE15: How to get students to participate in discussion with Stephen Brookfield
- TIHE98: The Skillful Teacher with Stephen Brookfield
- The Skillful Teacher by Stephen Brookfield*
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates*
- A Conversation with My Black Son, a New York Times OpEd Video
- Good White People: The Problem with Middle-Class White Anti-Racism by Shannon Sullivan*
- Eduard C. Lindeman
- Michel Foucault
- Derald Wing Sue’s books*
- Videos of Derald Wing Sue
- Presumed Incompetent by Gabriella Gutiérrez y Muhs, Yolanda Flores Niemann, Carmen G. González, and Angela P. Harris*
- TIHE123: Presumed Incompetent with Yolanda Flores Niemann
- Stephen Covey on Trust
- The Discussion Book: 50 Great Ways to Get People Talking by Stephen D. Brookfield and Stephen Preskill*
- David Bohm
- TIHE126: Empathy Toward Greater Inclusion with Jackie and Rob Parke
- Code Switch Podcast Episode on Sanctuary Churches
- Join a local organization, like a Black Lives Matter group or SURJ (Stand Up for Racial Justice)
- Connect with Stephen on his homepage: stephenbrookfield.com
Are You Enjoying the Show?
- Rate/review the show. Please consider rating or leaving a review for the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast on whatever service you use to listen to it on (iTunes, Stitcher, etc.). It is the best way to help others discover the show.
- Give feedback. As always, I welcome suggestions for future topics or guests.
- Subscribe. If you have yet to subscribe to the weekly update, you can receive a single email each week with the show notes (including all the links we talk about on the episode), as well as an article on either teaching or productivity.