Author of The Skillful Teacher*
Stephen also appeared on Teaching in Higher Ed Episode 15: How to get students to participate in discussion.
I think I internalized early in my career that my job was to talk, to profess. And that if I wasn’t talking, then I really wasn’t earning my money. I still feel that, and I fight against it constantly.
Skillful teaching is whatever helps students learn.
College students of any age should be treated as adults.
Teachers need a constant awareness of how students are experiencing their learning and perceiving teachers’ actions.
- Book: Just Mercy* by Bryan Stevenson
- TV show: Better Call Saul
- Article: An Evaluation of Course Evaluations by Philip B. Stark and Richard Freishtat
Are You Enjoying the Show?
- Rate/review the show. Please consider rating or leaving a review for the Teaching in Higher Ed podcast on whatever service you use to listen to it on (iTunes, Stitcher, etc.). It is the best way to help others discover the show.
- Give feedback. As always, I welcome suggestions for future topics or guests.
- Subscribe. If you have yet to subscribe to the weekly update, you can receive a single email each week with the show notes (including all the links we talk about on the episode), as well as an article on either teaching or productivity.